Wednesday, June 23, 2010

And next week... good night moon

I am reading Generation Me, and I wanted to write a post about it. But I can't just log onto the computer without some serious shenanigans. First I had to check my facebook. Then texts from last night and fmylife. Of course I needed music. And then whilst on the interwebs, I was shocked to discover that there was an earthquake in Toronto today. From fmylife no less. Not the most credible of sources, and then after much poking around, I was shocked to discover that there was in fact an earthquake in Toronto this afternoon. And I missed it? Then, using my recent calls and texts, I pinpointed myself in the parking lot of Fairview mall. And I DID feel it. I had just parked and turned off the car, when I felt the car swaying. I thought it was a problem with the car. Or the wind (I was on the upper level parking.) So I guess this is really the summer of everything. Really should have made a bingo card. So I bailed on a certain Mr. Wikham for a rendezvous with quite a new plot point. And ever since then, my lucky streak is broken. But the great things just keep getting greater, and the randomness has reached a new level, that it`s almost back to predictable again. Got a new phone today. Nothing fancy. (But fancy compared to my last phone, which can only be described as prehistoric.) Negotiated my butt off, and left with a plan that is both cheaper and with more features than my last. Irish and I are starting a book club. First we read The Bro Code, and now we've moved onto Generation Me by Jean Twenge. Oh won`t you join our book club! I`ll begin. I liked what she said about getting dressed for yourself. I guess people in the fifties would have dressed more casually and comfortably, if it had been a social norm. Even look how Coco Chanel had changed women's fashion out of corsets and into pants. Our generation is the sweat pant generation. And I know that I talked about it in my column (link to follow, one of these days) as something bad. My clothing choices in the past 24hours varied depending upon the situation. I'm still dressing for myself, but taking context, environment, and company involved into account. Right now I'm wearing sweatpants and a t-shirt. Comfortable, but still cute enough to go outside and chill with the neighbours. I wore jeans and a cute tank to the mall today, and a similar ensemble to New Plot Point's house last night. But at work, it was pinstripe dress pants, a crotcheted cami and a cardigan. Family functions call for class. Skank it up when going out. Funky for school and hanging out. Professional for work. Comfy for home. I essentially have 5 looks. And multiple personalities for each. And I love what she said about dance (fashion and dancing? boy am I predictable) What will my children's weddings look like, for the bride/father groom/mother dances? I don't know how to waltz.. what hope does my son have. Thats why I love going to places with my friends that play music from the fifties or sixties. Some songs just demand that he put his hand on your waist, and you put yours on his shoulder. You clasp hands, and improvise a little fox trot. I think that I want to live in the romanticized boomer generation. I want the formality and ettiquite and newness, with the convenience and freedoms of the Internet age.

No comments:

Post a Comment