Tuesday, August 31, 2010

I guess I can follow through...

Allllllrighty. 31 Posts in August. I'm exhausted. And a little proud. So I've been watching Quints by Surprise (I love me my TLC) Really? Yall took fertility medication, and were surprised to conceive quints? Surprised after 6 seasons of Jon and Kate Plus 8? (Sidebar: Jon was never really needed for the success of the show. He doesn't even fit the rhyme-scheme.) What these shows don't show are the developmental and physiological delays that many multiple births can experience. The Gosselins and the Joneses are pretty lucky to have such healthy multiples. And whatever happened to Octomom? But here's my riff. If you just can't conceive, then I can't conceive why you would opt for fertility drugs and petri dishes. If it can't happen for you naturally, there are other options that you can explore, that don't require you to play God. Adoption. Jeeze there are a lot of kids out there in need of a loving home. And the more that I think about it, the more I would want to adopt, whether or not I am fertile. I understand the whole aspect of wanting a child that is a part of you. But do genetics outweigh love? Adoption. Guardianship. Foster Care. Steal a Child. Get a puppy. Volunteer with kids. Become an mentor. Be the best damn Auntie you can be. There are plenty of options out there for you. Termination is oft recommended for mothers of multiples, due to the risk involved. And just an FYI, I am pro-termination. It's a horrible thing to say, and I could never imagine aborting any of Leah, Hannah, Alexis, Aaden, Joel or Collin. But a nameless, faceless, personalityless fetus? MMMmmmm howsabout tomorrow we talk about happier things.

No comments:

Post a Comment