Sunday, May 16, 2010

Shout out!!

So apparently this blog has a reader. And no, it's not my Mommy (who are we kidding, she'll never figure out this newfangled internet thingamajiggy)

I was self-conscious for a split-second. Because usually I just post whatever the hell is on my mind in the moment. But it's also made me realise, that I WANT readers. So efforts will be doubled!

I think I need to explain the YES!! project. But first, a treat for your ears. Let's listen.

It's a social experiment. A summer project of sorts. It's deliciously simple. But deceptively difficult in execution.

Say YES!! to everything.

Now, there are no rules per-se. I am developing parameters as I go along.
1. I cannot do more than three things in a day. (This parameter sprung as a result of over-booking myself.)
2. Saying YES!! cannot interfere with work. I will not call in sick, and if I have to work in the morning, then I cannot get too crazy at night.
3. Say YES!! to everything, within reason. I'm not going to start injecting heroin in my veins and hooking on the street. (I can't go back to that scene.)

In all seriousness, I still maintain my free-will, and I am certainly a strong-willed person.

I like to think that the people I associate with won't propose nefarious exploits. There are no rules, but money, drugs and sex are things I will think twice about before screaming YES!! Are there drawbacks? Sure!

1. I'm BROKE. Saying YES!! to everything has me going out a lot. Going out costs money. I've resorted to eating at my parents house, in an effort to conserve money.

2. I'm TIRED. Throughout the school year I averaged 6 hours sleep each night. I was working 30 hours, spending 20 hours in class, and another 20+ working on stories and assignments. That's a 70+ hour work week. Now I am working a delightful 40 hours each week. Theoretically, that gives me 30+ free hours... which I have filled with shenanigans. So my apartment is still a fright, I'm still lacking in sleep and I'm still constantly on the go.

3. How do you say NO? I don't have money to give you. I don't want to fuck you. The dark side of YES!! to everything is the hobos. They're draining me. I put all my pennies nickels and dimes in my pocket before going out, and tell them it's all I can spare. The mens and the drugs are trickier. 'YES!!, BUTS' seem to do the trick. YES!! I want some coke, BUT I have an addictive personality and probably shouldn't try it. YESS!! I want another drink, BUT I'm pretty sloshed so it has to be my last. YES!! I want to fuck you BUT not tonight. Etc. Although, I think that this is a positive to the project. YES!!, BUT sounds a helluva lot better than my usual scathing "umm.. No."

4. Since people know about the project, I worry that they'll doubt my sincerity. But no one's holding a gun to my head. I think the project only works if you are genuinely excited about the possibility of adventure that could ensue. I think my friends understand. But how does dating work? Still trying to figure that one out...

There are plenty of positives.

1. Say YES!! to altruism. I find myself doing more favours and random acts of kindness. I found a shoe in the parking lot at work today. I picked it up and brought it into the Children's store next-door. I usually would've left it there. I didn't say YES!! to anything. Even when I said YES!! to my neighbour when she needed a lift, I forgot about the project until we were already on our way (and then I drew a huge sigh of relief, that I had said YES!!)

2. Say YES!! to adventure. I never know where my day is going to take me. You have to open yourself to the adventure that life can bring.

3. Say YES!! to conversations with randoms. Everyone has a story to tell. People love to talk about themselves. Why NOT talk to strangers? We spend our days conversing with the same characters, sometimes just introducing a cameo character spices things up. Also, ever see someone doing something or wearing something or singing something or they look like someone you know, and you're just DYING to ask them whatever it is that piques your interest? Well, just DO IT. Worst case? They think you are weird. But guess what, you'll probably never see them again. Best case? Delightful conversations with random strangers. Heck, you may learn something about life, and you may learn something about yourself. (or, you may get a fab date out of it...)

4. Say YES!! to no regrets. Something on your mind? Shout it out! Afraid of something? Conquer that fear! I feel bolder. Brazen. Untouchable. I feel like I am doing everything right, and that no matter what I do or say, I am on the right path. Destiny? Fate? Mumbojumbo? I dunno. But I feel like I am on a journey. I don't know what I'll find at the end of the summer. But I feel like it's already been written. I just have to uncover the clues, and be open to the possibility.

Jeez. I feel like I should write a self-help book. Or be preaching on a soap-box on a street-corner.

Basically, we are all asked to do stupid and lame sounding things on a daily basis. Usually we regretfully decline. But I challenge myself to say YES!! and see what happens.

One adventure has lead to another, and I have been delighted with little pockets of randomness and vignettes of irony. Maybe I'm easily amused. Maybe I'm looking for shenanigans. Or maybe I'm onto something here.

No comments:

Post a Comment